Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Interacting with Night in The Woods

Interacting with Night in The Woods 2 weeks 1 day ago #242

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1

Night in The Woods got a lot of great reviews when it was released in February 2017, including one of its port to Switch a year later on NintendoLife. I keep thinking that I'm going to enjoy story-based games, but then I find that them to be sooooo slow. A lot of Night In The Woods' acclaim was that it looked at contemporary psychological issues in a realistic way, but I never really found myself that interested in the main character, Mae, or the small town she lives in. Yes, she had a lot of issues, but I couldn't relate to her apathy at all and was much more interested in her friends and the supernatural subplot. That subplot only appears in snatches, and although her friendships do get a decent amount of attention, apparently you can only focus on one of her three friends in a single playthrough, which is annoying. The core "walking sim" gameplay is very, very slow, and the interludes didn't do anything to curb my impatience. I had to really force myself to return to this game again and again in order to finish it. I was hoping the ending would feel like a big payoff, but it really, really didn't.

I suspect I'm too old to fit what I assume is the more 20-something quarter-life-crisis-experiencing target audience for this game, and it's still a mystery to me that even though I enjoy reading and I enjoy video games, I have yet to really find a story-based video game that I really loved and couldn't put down. There are games with strong stories that I have definitely enjoyed (Yono and the Celestial Elephants comes to mind), but this experience has unfortunately, left me even more wary of walking sims than before. Ho hum.

Read more...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds